- Sun, April 17 2011
- Filed under: Fundraising essentials
If we want more donations - more gifts for our cause - we have to tap into our own, inner gifts.
1. The Gift of Listening: Listening is the first step to real rapport. Build an emotional connection with donors by making them feel seen and heard.
2. The Gift of Perspective: Know that fundraising is all about the relationship you build with those donors – not the transaction of giving.
3. The Gift of the Right Brain: Unlock right-brain thinking and tell emotional stories about your work.
4. The Gift of Impact: Focus on the impact your donors can have, not the need you have.
5. The Gift of Champions: Turn your donors into messengers. Third parties can be more persuasive than we are.
6. The Gift of Hope: Don’t make your donors feel their gift is a drop in the bucket. Speak of the lives they change rather than the ones they haven’t.
7. The Gift of Technology: Technology isn’t magic alone, but it can work magic on the right fundraising approach.
8. The Gift of Context: Create an environment for donors that’s more conducive to giving.
9. The Gift of Inclusion: Don’t let fundraisers be relegated to the sidelines of an organization – architect fundraising into the organization overall.
10. The Gift of Love: These nine gifts will yield a tenth: the gift of love for what you do. Giving makes people happy, and so you’re in the wonderful business of joy.