- Sun, August 07 2011
- Filed under: Fundraising essentials
I wanted to thank everyone so much for the many kind emails and feedback to my post on Friday about my favorite cause, A Wider Circle, as well as for your donations. You are amazing. Because of you, a little boy will be off the floor and sleeping in his first-ever bed and a mom will have a table on which she can serve a family dinner. You changed a life. What a happy thing! (For those who missed the post and the opportunity to get feedback on your appeal, you have another day to participate here.)
When I worked with A Wider Circle to create the campaign page, we did a few things that can help strengthen any appeal. Here are our five tips to take your appeal from meh to marvelous. (And here is the page so you can see what it looks like to implement these kinds of principles.)
1. Have a great photo of one person (or animal - something with a heartbeat) and a few words that convey the emotional heart of your campaign.
2. Make the ask as tangible as possible. What does $33 do? What change will it make?
3. Show social proof. Include a ticker or thermometer or quote or comments that show other donors taking action.
4. Give a sense of urgency with a deadline or a goal. It inspires people to act now.
5. Make sure your call to action is super clear and easy to act upon.
I hope these tips help with your campaigns!