- Wed, April 07 2010
- Filed under: Fundraising essentials
Convio’s new 2009 Nonprofit Benchmarks Study of nearly 600 nonprofits in 15 sectors is out and available here.
Allyson Kapin has a nice write-up of the study on Frogloop. Read it here.
Here are the highlights from Convio:
• Online giving grew 14 percent despite a difficult economy. Overall, 69 percent of organizations raised more in 2009 than 2008, while 31 percent saw declines in their online fundraising.
• An increase in gifts drove fundraising gains. Of those that grew fundraising in 2009, 92 percent saw an increase in the number of gifts in 2009 compared with just 43 percent of organizations seeing an increase in their average gift amount.
• Donors were still giving, but giving smaller amounts. 61 percent of all organizations saw their average gift drop in 2009.
• Regardless of mission, online fundraising continued to grow. The only exception was Disaster & International Relief organizations, for which 2008 was a year with more significant disasters than 2009.
• Small organizations grew fastest. Organizations with fewer than 10,000 email addresses on file, many of which are participants in the Convio Go! program, grew online revenue by 26 percent, and gifts by 32 percent.
• Email files continued to grow strongly. The total email file grew 27 percent in 2009 to 39,100 constituents.