- Thu, July 30 2009
- Filed under: Fundraising essentials
My Silver FLATs, by Joey 989 via Flickr
Is giving up or down? Lucy Bernholz has the answers here. As she noted, flat may be the new up. (She was quoting a Tweet there.)
Read her whole post. The highlights:
1. Giving was down in 2008 from 2007 by 2%, the first decline since 1987. This year, a third of nonprofits say their budgets are down, but 1/3 say they’re up, probably due to stimulus dollars.
2. Expect more scrutiny of your nonprofit at all levels, thanks to scandals, budget pressures and the new 990.
3. The Foundation Center and Guidestar are both projecting 2009 foundation and individual giving to drop between 9-13% each over 2008 and again 2010 over 2009.
4. We don’t know how many nonprofits are going under, but some predict 10% could this year.
So if you’re flat, congrats. That’s pretty great in this climate.