- Fri, January 27 2012
- Filed under: Fundraising essentials
With the Network for Good team, I just created a mini-course on thanking donors. It’s a self-guided tour to writing great thank-yous and treating donors well all year - so they will give again! (It’s not free, but I immodestly think this guide to stewardship is worth every penny. Learn more here.)
So do you treat your donors well? To figure it out, take this quiz. (It’s free.)
And remember the rock bottom, bare minimums when it comes to donor stewardship!
1. ALWAYS THANK YOUR DONORS: Always. No exceptions.
2. THANK THEM EARLY: You should thank your donors within a few days of their gift.
3. THANK THEM OFTEN: Thank your donors several times, over time, and keep reporting back on the difference they have made.
4. THANK THEM ACCURATELY: Make sure you have correctly spelled the donor’s name, stated the amount and date of the donation, included appropriate language for taxes and carefully noted if the gift was made in honor of someone else.
If I had a dollar for every charity that didn’t do these four things when I gave…