Thu, January 10 2013

What do the best nonprofit websites look like?

Filed under:   Websites and web usability •

I often get asked for examples of beautiful nonprofit websites.  Good news - there is a great article highlighting 31 one of them (thanks to my colleague Allison for spotting it).

Check out these inspiring examples here.  Why are they good?  Read what makes a good home page here.

I especially like the Kidzeum, a Network for Good customer!

Comments

Thanks for these great examples.  One point that I think is missing in the article is what elements make these websites so great.  They all look very attractive, but I wonder what other elements we should borrow.  We all know a beautiful website doesn’t mean anything if your visitor cannot easily find the information they are looking for.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/10  at  09:32 AM

What exactly is it about that website that you like about it? What qualities make it stand out to you as particularly superior to other websites?

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/10  at  09:47 AM

Sorry if I’m missing something here, but all I see are images. Did I miss the part where we find out why these sites make the list? That would have been helpful too.

Thanks!

Posted by sohini  on  01/10  at  09:51 AM

Thanks for sharing this information, Katya.  If a nonprofit is looking to efficiently use their resources, one can visit Themeforest.net for a template theme to use on their site and then brand it to their purposes.  The latest “Responsive” designs will enable a mobile-friendly site out of the box which is the big push this year with more and more users accessing sites via their smartphones and tablets.

Posted by Will Hull, MPA  on  01/10  at  11:35 AM

Anyone have examples of websites for nonprofit theatres that effectively combine ticket-selling function with message asking for community support? Most, including our website www.mountbakertheatre.com, use home page almost entirely to sell shows, with at most a tab or button for donations.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  01/10  at  01:29 PM

If you want my thoughts on website design, check out my article on the topic from this blog - I have added it to the post.

Posted by Katya Andresen  on  01/10  at  01:56 PM

Well, I would say that the most important aspect of web design - be it for nonprofits or a restaurant is function and ease of use.  Ease of use in terms of having the visitor find and able to “use” what they are looking for.

Yes, design is important, but ultimately people are after content.  If you can create a great design, have good speed and functionality and the content that the visitor is looking for, I think you have a quality web site.

Posted by Aaron  on  06/02  at  03:12 PM