Thu, May 24 2007

Asking for money online: what works?

A sense of immediacy is often needed to get someone to donate.  Are you answering the question for your donors, why give now?

An interesting M + R study based on the results of 180 fundraising appeals from nine different nonprofits delves into the efficacy of a few methods to lend a sense of immediacy to your appeals.  While noting the sample size is small, the study suggests some of these methods work better than others.

1. Multiple appeals that tied together in a cohesive campaign performed better than stand-alone, one-off appeals.  They have higher conversion and a much larger average gift size.
2. Offering a deadline results in bigger gifts than an open-ended appeal, though it didn’t increase conversion.
3. Matching gifts are motivational, increasing response rates and gift sizes.
4. Dollar goals may increase response rates, though there was not statistically significant data showing an impact in the study.

Based on my own experience, I’d say the study is right on.  At Six Degrees, we combined a deadline, matching gift and most-donations “contest” into one campaign where leading individual fundraisers for nonprofits had their gifts matched by Kevin Bacon.  We sent out several bulletins during the campaign.  So we combined all four elements above.  Clearly, as you can see by the levels of giving spiking at the matching grant competition deadline, this combined approach drove a lot of giving.

Picture1

Comments

thank you for statistics. And what is it caused?

Posted by Aqualung  on  05/24  at  03:52 PM

Interesting chart.  I would love to see more fundraising websites publish this sort of data.  There’s no doubt that matching grants combined with a deadline are an effective combination.

Deadlines are easy to find.  Matching funds are harder to come by!

Any suggestions on where nonprofits can find matching funds?  Should they solicit from existing major donors, who want to participate in an online campaign?  Or do they go after new sources of major gifts?

Posted by Peter Deitz  on  05/25  at  03:16 PM

Thanks Peter.  We are offering another round of matching funds via Kevin Bacon starting July 1—stay tuned for the announcement.  You can also look to corporations - who would do it because they get nice publicity when you reach out to your donors re: their matching grant - or your biggest donors, who may want to inspire other donors to give more.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/25  at  04:01 PM

Statistics can sometimes help but the market is changing so fast… you can never depend on something or it’s just my opinion.

Posted by Forex Trader  on  11/21  at  12:29 PM

Many thanks for the information, оченб long searched for it.

Posted by Rezak  on  04/05  at  06:37 PM

Useful statistics, the author has tried knowingly

Posted by Arkadiy  on  04/05  at  08:29 PM

Thanks Katya for posting, people needs that kind of info. Regards.

Posted by rezak  on  04/09  at  06:57 AM

I am asking for money to help take care of my family.  Right now, we are very strapped, as are millions of othr people, however, I want to just be able to take care of my three children and my husband is doing his best with different changes of work due to layoffs in the computer industry.

We need help!  Please email me.

Thank you.

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/24  at  10:21 PM

Thanks for the useful post… it just gave me some inspiration

Posted by Henry  on  06/26  at  09:06 PM

Nice to see soemone runing a not for profit blog, the internet is full of people making a living from the internet so I take my hat off to you. Good luck with the blogging

Posted by Remortgage Advice  on  07/28  at  04:30 PM

Those statistics was good. And it’s nice to know that there are people like you that works hard for a “cause”.

Keep Up!

Posted by Pinoy Negosyo Online  on  08/01  at  03:28 PM

I can’t agree more than what you’ve said.  But stat is useful in any case

Posted by Eric  on  09/08  at  07:29 AM

I wonder how much it will cost a universal conversion of graphic music and video files?
I would like to have the whole conversion at all.

Posted by Computers Software  on  01/03  at  07:13 PM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It’s the old what goes around comes around routine. Did you acquired lots of links and I see lots of trackbacks?  new york web design

Posted by web design new york  on  03/08  at  05:23 PM

Interesting, and I agree on the usefulness of matching gifts

.  Can’t help but wonder, since I am new here, is Katya russian?

Posted by Forex News  on  05/02  at  09:10 AM

Really its is nice post, The post is clearly highlighting the values of law. It is now being necessary for all of us to understand law and its values.
stock trade

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/02  at  10:54 AM

Thanks a lot for this useful post.

Posted by full color printing services  on  05/13  at  03:44 PM

I can tell you one thing, I’m going to lose any sleep over this and have effects of lack of sleep as a result!  Great post thanks for the information.

Posted by ladies golf balls  on  05/17  at  09:56 PM

In e-commerce, there is a different value proposition.Your distribution center becomes your store. wholesale jewelry

Posted by wholesale jewelry  on  05/21  at  09:27 AM

Well, this is a very valuable post. Thanks for the information you provided. It would be great if got more post like this. I appreciate it.

Posted by generic cailis  on  05/21  at  08:46 PM

Throw a tantrum to get attention.  Show how dire things are by kicking and screaming because the Hello Kitty stickers are missing.  Bad marketers make their appeals apocalyptic and scare away the audience.  Good marketers show how bad can become good.  They are inspirational and aspirational.
art degree AND online interior design degrees

Posted by online university degree  on  06/03  at  05:15 AM

wow.. interesting info at this post…. thanks!!!

Posted by Buy Propecia  on  06/03  at  08:04 PM

Good post.Nice to see soemone runing a not for profit blog, the internet is full of people making a living from the internet so I take my hat off to you..
Income protection

Posted by Income protection  on  06/05  at  07:07 AM

very nice post thanks!!!

Posted by Creative Services  on  06/05  at  08:08 AM

The Retort group here in the Bay Area have sent along two items that deserve particular mention - one, above, a bit of ephemera from the streets of San Francisco, the second a timeless comedy skit from two very British comics, John Bird and John Fortune. And it’s all the more impressive for having come out last year…
( custom logo design - stationery logo design - Website Design - Web Marketing )

Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  06/18  at  07:12 PM